View Single Post
Old 18-12-04, 13:27
RIP

Default Allan Mann

On 20th March 2004 "Operation Allan Mann" was carried out in the Narvik area, Norway. This was a joint British - Norwegian - Swedish exercise named in honour of Captain Allan Mann.

In 1939 Allan Mann was 18 years old and had no military experience when he volunteered as a civil labourer in Finland. There he was transferred to the Swedish Voluntary Corps serving as a motorcycle orderly.

In April 1940 he fought as a volunteer in Norway, Kongsvinger area, Roros and Os. In May 1940 he joined Norwegian 2nd Bn 15th Inf Regt fighting in Narvik. He was awarded the French Légion d´Honneur for his service in Narvik.

During 1940-44 he operated as a secret SOE-agent from Sweden making 53 tours into German-ocupied Norway. In Spring 1944 he was flown to Scotland and joined No 1 Norwegian Independent Coy - also known as Company Linge.

In November 1944 he joined USAF Colonel Bernt Balchen operating in Northern Norway from the Swedish Luleĺ AFB. He received the British Military Medal and Norwegian Order of S:t Olav with oakleaves.

After WW 2 Allan Mann served as a 1Lt and instructor of athletics with the Norwegian Military Academy. In 1956 he returned to Sweden and took up the same position with the Swedish Military Academy. Without having served one single day in the Swedish Army he was appointed Captain in the 15th Inf Regt reserve.

Transferred 1972 (if I remember right) to 10th Armoured Regiment. He was my instructor at the RMA and I later met him on several occasions. Last time some years ago I understood that he had severe health problems.

Today I couldn´t find him in the telephone directory and I fear he is not longer with us.

Photo: In Great Britain 1945.

PS. Could somebody identify the motorbike?
Attached Images