View Single Post
Old 11-10-18, 14:00
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Plan an uncontestable 36 hours door to door between Regina and Ottawa. And for the sheer scenic monotony of rocks and black spruce, I "suggest" highway 11 through northern Ontario. Fewer tourists and more through traffic than hugging the shoreline of Lake Superior. Night stops in Kenora or Hearst/Kapuskasing. And one drive I made, we rotated drivers religiously every 200 km.

I think we will disagree on the 11 vs 17 thing Terry. Highway 11 is comparably boring compared to the lake route of highway 17. If I am pulling a trailer load, and wanting to get to where I am going, then yes, highway 11. But if I am traveling empty, and want to see the best of what Canada is, then highway 17 offers great views of Lake superior along with touristy towns and villages. Just don't let the fuel tank get below 1/2, because there are a few long stretches between stations, especially around Wawa.

I found highway 11 comparable to driving in Northern Manitoba. Mostly flat, and with towns that do not appear inviting, but rather seem to be just large truck stops.