View Single Post
Old 07-01-11, 22:21
Ian Williams

Default Havent been to Corowa Please read this..

Corowa:
Well we are only two & a bit months out of this annual event.* I have*been attending for the last two years so I am nothing short of an 'infant' compared to some attendees.

Why did I originally go?
I*use the internet a lot to gather information and assist me in restoration,*but I*wanted to meet people in person & also look at other's vehicles to see what they had done, and also see if I wanted to purchase other types of vehicles in the future. What better way to do that than have a look at a few examples at one time?*

You would all know how hard some parts are to get.* Even simple things are getting rare and difficult to find as many wrecks have gone to the furnaces in China and Korea with scrap prices skyrocketing in the last few years. I had heard about a legendary swap-meet and after attending many in NSW car meets this seemed worth the effort to drive to Corowa*on this factor alone.* If all else failed I had plenty of room for a few crates of wine!

I had also holidayed in the Corowa-Rutherglen area a year before I went to the Swim-in*& found the wineries & antique shops, nearby shopping at Albury-Wodonga good as well.* As a tourist I enjoyed the time seeing what was out there. and being away as there was plenty to see & do in the area.

Cynically, I believed that Corowa (the Swim-in ) would be a bunch of people who would not want to do much at all, but I was very wrong.

One of the things which really made me want to go again was that for a few days I had lots of chances to ask questions. walk around and look at lots of different machinery, and*yes; you do get a few people who are a bit reserved in explaining or helping, but by & large the people there are all about having fun and enjoying the relaxed routine.

Had it not been for Corowa I would not have Land-Rovers, but going there allowed me to learn a lot about them, how common they were (or not) and also ask heaps of questions about other vehicles I was considering. One thing I have learned is that the people at Corowa share your passion.* Its not a show either its just a chance to enjoy a common thread in your own world.

Ahh now what also is good? Well, Around Corowa there are are lots of places you can stay.* I staying am at Ball Caravan Park which is next to the Murray River. Very often people put their amphibious vehicles in the river there, also there is always a buzz of different vehicles & trucks around the park.* Sometimes it a bit like scene from M*A*S*H, or*Bridge at Ramagen**which is*great in my opinion.* Its very rare where you can hear ten or more vehicles driving around*in that sort of environment which is unique compared to parades and convoys. There are plenty of cabins in the caravan (trailer!)*parks*and Hotels and Motels in the area for those who don't wish to camp. This is entirely down to you.

Then there is Rutherglen, not more than 5 minutes away from Corowa.* With plenty of second hand shops there.* Its more like visiting museums you can buy stuff from.* There is three bakeries there which I find amazing for such a small town.* Also, there are plenty of other attractions*around the town*to enjoy as well. There are many other small towns well worth visiting but I will let you all enjoy the finds yourself. Did I mention gold???

Recently I spoke to Jan Thompson (One of the people who organises and helps with the Annual Swim-In at Corowa). And she mentioned that there were not a lot of entries to the Year of the British Vehicle as yet. Is that because Land Rovers are slow or is it that you*are*reluctant to go?
To put it in perspective if you register, fill in the entry form you get some goodies, a plaque, a calendar, a guide to the events, a sticker or two and sometimes a magazine.* By registering you can participate in the parade if you have a military vehicle.* I have not taken one vehicle the past two years, but this year I plan to take two.* I realise some people would be reluctant to register, but you can share in the events even if you don't have a military vehicle.*It runs for the best part of a week, but arriving on the Thursday or Friday is appropriate for people who work or have a busy schedule.

Where is it? From my house in NSW its (at 100km/h on the highway) about 7 comfortable hours. You can by-pass Albury if you are coming from either direction nowadays. From the NSW side travelling South down the Hume Highway and go West at Holbrook. (Where the Submarine is!) It is a very pleasant drive along the 'back' way.* Relatively flat, the drive is not strenuous.*

You pass through several little known NSW towns, and before you know it, you are in Corowa.

I hope to see you all there.* Just go.* If you don't like it, you don't have to go again. If you never go you'll never know.

Here's a great link to what's in the area http://www.albury.net.au/~tim/cwa1.htm

There is a Visitor Information Centre*in Corowa.* Give them a call if you want to find accommodation before you set off. (02) 6033 3221 or email corinfo@dragnet.com.au

And, YES I am still working on my F15A....

Ian

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff