View Single Post
Old 19-01-18, 17:15
Terry Warner

Default 6-7 June 1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGillivray View Post
1H and FGH were the assault Regiments which were equipped with DD tanks. SFR was the reserve Regiment whose tanks were fitted for deep wading. SFR did not use DD tanks.
The timeline of the battle was land in the afternoon 6 June. Get themselves out of the bridgehead, which was no small feat. Get past any cut-off German defenders. Get their orders. Pick up North Novies and push towards Buron and Authie. Harbour for the night, then continue south. The NNS and SFR are the only two units with the Authie battle honour.

In my estimation, there would not have been much opportunity to lose a Sherman, except through breakdown which would have necessitate a replacement. Was the rest of the regiment's echelon even landed by 7 June?

It is important to remember that even though the SFR lost most of its Fireflies and several 75mm Shermans, the 7 June battle was not the only action in that sector. I don't have my copy of the war diary at hand, but I recall there were several attempts and raids until the German defences were rolled up under sustained pressure 8-9 July. This month of less extensively reported action could be how a replacement tank ended up on the Buron-Authie battlefield.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!