View Single Post
Old 26-09-10, 20:10
John Forsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20387774 View Post
Litle Jo-If you are wanting to keep it looking original, you can get your 6 volt generator rebuilt to 12 volt and then get a regulator from an M29 weasel or other 12 volt WW2 vehicle. It'll look original, but be 12 volts.

I've done a couple of the 12volt alternator conversions and they work fine. If you are getting one built for yourself, try to get it made so it "kicks in" at as low an rpm as you can. Some of the ones I've done you have to really rev the engine to make the alternator start charging.

John
you do not need to alter the dynamo from 6v to `121 v.I never have and as long as your dynamo is putting out about 13 v and you couple it up to a 12v regulator it will look original as you can hide the regulator inside an original jeep one. Forget all about alternators as they are totally unnecessary and look bloody ugly when you open the bonnet and see a modern lump in a 70 year old Jeep.Trust me , my jeeps have been on this system for 30 odd years with no problems. Keep your jeep as near to original as you can. Good luck, John.