View Single Post
Old 01-04-11, 14:46
Armour Owner x 3

Rick and Jan

Thanks for the comments about my website.

Jan, from your comments, it appears that it may be the 2011 event that has made a major blip on the Corowa Shire's radar, where as in the past, they quite possibly over looked the rally as just another car club having a rally.
32 consecutive years and roughly 1000 people attending an event over a week in a town with a population of ~5,500 should be significant for them, so better late than never I suppose.
I wonder why it was this year that made them sit up and really take notice?

Rick introduced me to Kendell and she came across as genuinely interested and aware of what she needed to learn.
I don't know if it is me or not, but the inhabitants of Corowa don't seem to be at all phased by all these strange people driving around in old army vehicles.
I have deliberately watched and have yet to notice any of them paying much attention at all. I would however have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the FV-436 was angle parked in the main street whilst the crew had a meal!
One bloke pulled up next to me in a tradesman's van and I could predict what
came next "hey, mate, excellent.........but what is it"? I have no doubt that
my reply of "a Kettenkrad" meant precisely zilch to him: but he was chuffed to see something that odd being driven around Corowa.
I gave way to a Mum with kids in a 4 wheel drive and then 2 blocks later they
over took me. Hmmm, weren't they headed away from me earlier.............?
Who knows, may be in time some of the Corowa locals will join our hobby.

A suggestion: I don't have the solution by the way - but as you will have read in my article, there seemed to be almost a re-enactment of the "exodus" on Saturday arvo - how to encourage people to hang around till Sunday?

Regards
Doug