Old 08-04-12, 12:10
Tony Baker

Default Trouble ahead

Click image for larger version

Name:	fit of windscreen frame to cab.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	48283
Some time ago, I was pondering if the windscreen support frame needed a pack or shim to align it properly. My concern was that it sat out further than the edge of cab, and both the vertical sections were wider out at bottom when measured across to the centre post.
Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers door fit 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	48280 Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers door fit 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	48281 Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers door fit 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	48282
When I did a trial fit of drivers door this afternoon, I discovered that it touched the windscreen support upright. This contact starts when about 30-40cms away from door closed position. This despite the hinges NOT being tightened fully against the cab. This will definately require some effort to correct, and a thick shim (roughly 3mm) will be manufactured to keep the windscreen frame upright post away from the door. I will bolt in the window assembly to check it still fits too!

I reattached cab rear panel and tightened into position before attempting door hanging and discovered that it is leaning slightly forward, bringing it to contact rear of the door. This will be easy to fix, and i'll add it to the list of things to do tomorrow.

To do list for tomorrow:
  • Remove nose panel for better access to door hinge bolts
  • Buy slightly longer bolts, to allow for shim thickness
  • Make shims x2
  • Make alteration to rear panel so door closes

And I discovered that the modern bolt version of hinge to door are ever so slightly thicker heads, so they will need to be removed and shaved to original specs, or this too will cause contact against cab frame.

If these vehicles were intended to be thrown together by unqualified laborers then I don't understand why they didn't make far greater tolerences in panel fit. It wouldn't take any more effort in design stage and might have made the workers life easier. Now I know they didn't give the proverbial about such things, but jeezus, think of us poor restorers would ya!