View Single Post
Old 01-12-07, 17:18
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi David,

I read this post and went searching for Saskatchewan Vital Statistics records site ... for starters, I don't know what sort of info Jessica or her dad are looking for, whether just certain time frame of Grandfathers life or events surrounding his death, his whole life, or his whole life plus who his parents etc were ... I suspect that her dad knows very little about his dads personal life and history and thats probably what he would want to be knowing about.

Maybe Jessica or her dad can get some information from ordering birth and/or marriage and death records and work forwards from there.

http://vsgs.health.gov.sk.ca/vsgs_srch.aspx

Grandfathers time frame means records would have to be applied for (not accessible/viewable online)

The vital stats site does have access to some info/records online, but they are restricted within timeframes ... births more than 100 years ago, deaths more than 70, and marriages are not done yet (they're working on adding records in all categories as an ongoing process and note they won't start the marriages one until the deaths are completed)

Also she might want to try and find out if there was (likely was) an obituary for her grandfather in the local Regina paper of the time and if they would have a record of it in their archives ... obits (and memorials) often tell all sorts of information. Often nothing, but often surprizing bits of info.

Also, consider that maybe the workplace may not have employee records of the Grandfather, but maybe some connection can be found to another employee or someone that knew, or knew of, the Grandfather and remembers him and his accident etc. I know it's a stretch ... but something to consider once the actual workplace is known and if it can be contacted now.

I don't know a soul in Regina, so I can't ask anyone to do a little hunting as a favor, or I would. Its so sad when someone wants family knowledge and some other family members either doesn't know anything or they simply aren't approachable or forthcoming with info. The knowledge is out there, somewhere ... someone knows something, is what I always believe and I never give up.

Hope some of this helps somehow.

Ma