View Single Post
Old 30-07-13, 16:44

Guys,

Thanks for all your comments. It was a mix of bad luck and stupidity. I thought I had partly unscrewed the stud myself when removing the master cylinder from the truck, so I never thought that screwing it back would cause this result. An expensive lesson. On checking my pics from before removing the thing I noticed the stud was already sticking out too far, so either it came from the factory like that or it happened somewhere during it's career. Anyway, there was some black sludge in the hole....a bit mud-like. As I say....next time I will definately take the time to clean the hole and thread.

I agree with all you guys.....can it be fixed?....I think so, but I would definately ask a professional shop in stead of trying myself. Is there a risk?....I think so, even though the sleeve is pretty much a closed chamber as Dave noted. The risk of it cracking again or warping during the treatment is present, so even if it can be properly welded, it could prove more expensive to get everything sorted again than to have another cylinder sleeved...
Most of all, even if It was fixed properly, I wouldn't be sitting comfortably on my way to Normandy!

So, the only sensible thing seems to be to cut my losses, look for another Master cylinder, or at least the casting, have it sleeved in Stainless again and do the same procedure again......well, without the cracking hopefully.

thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!
Alex