View Single Post
Old 29-06-21, 18:55

Default COUPLINGS, Flexible, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4673

This Couplings connects the shaft at the back of the DRIVES assembly to the shaft at the front of the Tuning Capacitor, directly behind the Drives in the chassis.

At first glance, it looks very much like a simple coil spring assembly, but in fact; it is a thin sheet steel bellows construction. Note there is no ‘coil’ present, just a parallel set of ‘rings’.

A collar is fitted at each end and each collar has three 8-32 Grub Screws set 90 degrees apart to secure the Couplings to both shafts it connects. These bellows remind me of the much larger ones found in fancy aneroid clock work barometers from days gone by, only they were typically fashioned of copper or brass, back when scientific instruments were works of art.

Interestingly, when I removed this coupling, I marked the two shafts to see where the Coupling actually was mounted. I am glad I did. Nearly 5/8-inch of shaft was under the Coupling at the DRIVES end but with less than 3/16-inch under the Tuning Capacitor shaft end, the grub screws were barely hanging on. Something to be wary of if I am ever servicing one of these parts again, down the road.

David
Attached Thumbnails
COUPLINGS, Flexible, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4673 1.JPG   COUPLINGS, Flexible, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4673 2.JPG   DRIVES, Capacitor, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4263 2.JPG   COUPLINGS, Flexible, No. C1  ZA:CAN 4673 3.JPG