View Single Post
Old 06-11-07, 23:43

Default Panther in Petawawa

Yes, I recall seeing a Panther on one of the ranges in Petawawa while training with the infantry Reserves in 1979. In the early 1980s there were also sections of Panther track wrapped around two badly shot up Ram Hulls at Pacquette Landing. The track was recovered by the CWM, I do though have photographs of the two Rams and the Pather track.

Back in the 1960s and early 1970s there was a fine assortment of vehicles on the various ranges, many of which lasted well into the early 1980s. Again as a young infantry reservist I well remember the wheels to the German 88 Gun that is on display on base sat out on the range on the Mattawa Plain as a target, as was the front dolly wheel to the German 150mm Howitzer that is also on display on the base. There were once at least 4 Valentines as well as WWI Gemran 7.7cm Howitzers and some very strange WWIish Ammunition Limbers sitting on the range, again all as targets. Funny thing is that the 88 wheels sat for years in one of the vehicle compounds on base, I guess until someone thought that they would best be served by being shot at by C2 LMGs.

There was even a Valentine hidden deep in the woods behind the old 'Jungle Trail' off of the Mattawa Plain. It was badly 'recovered' from the training area by the military in the mid-1980s, but I am unsure where it eventually ended up.

Here are some target images from the early 1980s.