View Single Post
Old 30-03-19, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusonn View Post
Apart from the longer wheelbase, the most significant feature that differs WOT6 from WOT8 is the demountable top half of cab, with the two handles just under the windscreen and a cover stripe over the gap. WOT8 was produced between 1941 and 1942. The early cabs had the round cab ventilator covers whilst the very late models had the rectangular airflows just like the WOT6. The step rings on the front hubs were mounted on both WOT8 and WOT6. I have this on my early WOT8 which has the round airflows. I think the purpose was to get a step to make climbing up into the high cab easier. As these rings are not mounted on the rear hubs, their purpose would not be for lifting the vehicle up for ship loading.
In addition to the features mentioned by Richard, the WOT8 had a hydraulic spare wheel holder lift, whilst on WOT6 it was mechanical. Also the engine cover and dash set-up is different on WOT8, see below.
Not quite that simple other than the cab details. I have recently received the WOT6 parts manuals from Rob van Meel and it shows the hydraulic spare wheel holder assembly as below. Also the GS version shows the fuel tank assembly mounted behind the cab. Unfortunately there are no illustrations of the cab or body but the body parts are fully listed in the index. No details on the change of ventilator system that I can find!

I have collected these to detail the new ICM 1:35th WOT6 kit and as the kit has a machinery body, will have to scratchbuild the GS body, the fuel tank and the spare wheel carrier to build a Kiwi vehicle as in the last photo.
(An early model Ford WOT6 in Italy 1944. NZ National Archives photo DA-06000-F. Markings are for the 5th Field Park Company 2nd NZ Divisional Engineers. White 59 on a Blue square. It and the similar truck behind appear to be carrying sections of a Bailey bridge). Note the early style cab ventilators and the cab roof front vent. Also evidence of repainting and touch-ups! Early roundel type ID on cab roof.

I must also thank Rob for his quick service and providing a great product.
http://robvanmeel.nl/

Cheers,
Pete M.
Attached Thumbnails
wot6-spare-wheel-carrier.jpg   wot6-fuel-system.jpg   wot6-parts-manual.jpg   Kiwi WOT6 Italy.jpg