View Single Post
Old 22-04-20, 00:05

This Sender seems to give up its mysteries just as readily as revealing new ones to sort out. After careful removal of the 25 panel screws I had previously identified, the front panel was still firmly secured across the mid-section of the chassis. It was then that I realized the upper corners of the Flick Drive Assembly Boxes are also secured to the front panel. By the same screws that serve as the setscrews for the PLATES, Stop, No. 1. In realizing that, it suddenly made sense why the sixth such PLATES, although not installed at the far right side of the panel, still needed the lone setscrew fitted. That mystery now solved, but I still need to sort out why the PA TUNE only required the one, left hand PLATES.

Once those six screws were removed and secured, the Sender front panel lifted clear of the chassis. As usual, several panel screws are missing lock washers and one for certain is oversize. Several are also longer than they need to be. I suspect if any were damaged at some point, the easiest replacement was used rather than getting the proper length. Note to self to find appropriate replacement screws for reassembly.

The two INDICATORS are top heavy when freed from the front panel and swing on the gearbox as a result. I think it should be fairly easy to get the left one set to ‘0000’ prior to putting everything back together.

The really good news was with the middle Flick Drive Assembly. The retaining spring for the two Flick Arms had indeed disconnected from the Lower Arm and as a result, the Lower Arm had fallen away from the Flick Control Shaft. You can see the Lower Arm lying above the shaft in the second photo.

The paint on the right hand Flick Drive Indicator Flags is factory original and in very good shape. When exposed to light for a while and then put into darkness, the upper white sections of the two flags glows bright green. The white on the other two sets of flags has been painted over at some point with a plain flat white paint that did not adhere well to the underlying luminous paint. It has all blistered and lifted. In the dark, only the outer edges still show a slight glow and you can see where the newer paint was applied in large gobs with a brush. I now have a supply of the correct luminous paint so these two sets of flags will get a repaint.

Pretty good access overall for getting at internal chassis components fro a good cleaning now.

Have to take a closer look at the broken panel screw on the right side upper chassis rail now as well, to see how best to remove it.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender 39.JPG   WS No. 52 Sender 41.JPG