Thread: Overlord 2004
View Single Post
Old 06-06-04, 12:52
Vets Dottir

Default Ciggie break

I had to take some time out from the old TV for a break,and coffee to keep me awake. It's about 5:30 a.m. June 6th ... the ceremonies started being televised at 3 a.m. Too much to take it all in. And how crammed and rushed everything is ... the lone Piper piping on the beach really got to me. As did "Abide With Me"

Seeing the Vets, 60 years after the fact, MARCHING down on the beach by the Juno Beach Center ... what a different kind of beach they all are now,Juno and the others ... but I'll bet much looked like June 6, 1944 in their minds and hearts ... and how wonderful for them to be TOGETHER. That part televised, to me, the walk on the beach, somehow seemed really invasive towards the soldiers, in my mind. I felt, "Ah... let them be for crying out loud... this is their private moment together. Leave them alone."

But what do I know?

I loved the overheard cussing.

I wonder if Geoff and Hanno were seated way back up in the bleachers?

Well ... back to TV ... They were soon to start the Dinner Reception for the Soldiers .... and the news switched to the British Ceremonies, "Onward Christian Soldiers" .... Then The American .... and will switch back and forth between Our Canada, England, and American.... about 10 hours beginning to end for the whole show.

In all ... an education that I hope many are getting.