View Single Post
Old 29-07-15, 22:49
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default A few pics of pintle hook mounts I have seen.

The first two are similar to the ones in Phil's pic of a 1941 C60L.
The side brackets are bent plate that bolt to the side chassis rails and to a cross member. There are 4 bolts in a square pattern each side.

The next pic is fitted to a C15A and the brackets fit snugly inside the chassis rails, much as in Max's pic, and also Grant and Bob's pic. - I will check again whether this pair are cast or fabricated. There are 4 bolts each side in a tapered trapezoid shape each side.
(Note this chassis has extensions welded to the ends)

The last set are fitted to a Marmon Herrington (and seen on the Irish CDSW Morris) with 4 bolts to each bracket to the rear cross member.

Rod's pics clearly show the under slung hook brackets. these have 3 bolts in a horizontal line on each side.

Now from all this, I see that the chassis rails require different bolt patterns, so it makes me think that these brackets are model specific and early /late production versions as related in the posts above.

I have not pictured the C8AX pintle which has a fabricated frame underslung below the chassis, and the hook is mounted to a plate on a shaft with a coil spring.
This seems to be a NZ designed fitting, perhaps based on US practice? GMC and CMP vehicles were coming into the country at this time.
The C8AX has a much lighter frame than the GMC, though the coil spring, collars and shaft have similar dimensions, but the spring is round section vs square section on the GMC.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
20150729_150659.jpg   20150729_151448.jpg   20150729_151419.jpg   20150729_151655a.jpg  

Last edited by Rob Beale; 30-07-15 at 11:31. Reason: add bolt layout detail to match info in earlier threads.