Thread: 1970s CF Radios
View Single Post
Old 25-06-11, 05:05
MUTT Guy

Terry is totally on the mark about possibilities vs realities. In my own experience, I never saw a GRC-160 install in anything but a Section Vehicle (2 CER anyway). The logic was if the Field Section had to operate dismounted from the vehicle, you just popped out the 77 Set, fitted it to the Man-Pack, and off you go. RT-524s were found in most everything else requiring a Radio. Dual installations were really only in Command Posts (Troop and Squadron), Squadron OCs, and CO's Tac etc. Troop Commanders and Troop Recces often nabbed a dual installation as well, but I don't believe that was "doctrine" for us until the Assault Pioneers/Assault Troopers were stood down and Engineer Sub-Sub Units were tasked with intimate support to the manouvre arms. The fancy stuff like HF was rarely if ever used at the Regt level in the normal operating environment. IIRC, HF was usually a function of the Brigade HQ & Sigs guys, but I suppose there are one offs like FOO/FACs that may have used them, but i'm wandering way out of my lane now.

Having said all of that, i'm a bit of a hypocrite and have a RT-524A and GRC-160 (PRC-77 in AM-2060) in my M151A2. Highly unlikely combination in a Sapper Jeep, especially the Support Squadron 2 I/C, but I hauled around a 77 Set enough to enjoy owning one now.