Thread: M43CDN Amb
View Single Post
Old 13-10-17, 05:41
carrier mech

I believe it is more than just the dry climate.....here it is known as "dry cold". We love to hear those in warmer climates complain about how terrible the damp cold is at -7 when we are having to deal with the dry cold at -35. But it is good for the artifacts, keeping things in deep freeze for 4 to 6 months of the year ensure they last.

In this case, the truck did suffer from all the mouse urine. I took 3 garbage cans of refuse out of the truck, but the smell of mouse still permeates. At the same time, every hinge and latch worked, and after some oiling the doors close as good as any that I have ever dealt with.

I got the starter on, cranked it over a bunch of times to spread out the oil, then had a quick once over of the ignition system. Points were contacting at first, but after very slight tinkering I had spark. The spark plugs had a quick run through the spark plug cleaner and tester, and with a snort of ether the engine smoked to life. I'm not going to work on the fuel system at this time....the carb was covered, the cylinders re-oiled, and the truck brought outside to one of the line-ups. One by one this compound keeps filling up.

I tired to google the M43CDN ambulances, and most of them were restorations, so of course got the red crosses. I did manage to spot a couple on google that didn't have them. But as a last minute find, as I closed the two barn doors at the back of the truck, I spotted a little bit of red around the escutcheon of the right door handle, so I guess I have my answer. It did have red crosses at one time, but they are well hidden under a layer or two of paint.