View Single Post
Old 04-07-22, 02:12
Junior Password Gnome

On early AFVs there were a limited number of connections through the rotary base junction between hull and turret wiring. The Driver Intercom boxes (Junction, Distribution No 1 and No.2) had to make do with power and ground connections from the hull and the "Speech" (Intercom amplifier output) and "Signal" (buzzer call from J.D.1 to the Commander headset drop-lead).

There will be a cable from Control Unit No.1 (the commander's box) to the turret junction box to carry the Speech and Signal lines (I think) - unless they are passed through the WS19 supply unit on a 6-core cable, in which case the connections are Pin 2 for "Speech" and Pin 5 for "Signal".

The absolute minimum for an AFV is a single control unit No.1 (which must have the fuse removed) and a Junction Distribution No.1 (if required for Driver Intercom). Normally you find Control Unit 1 (Commander + Gunner) and Control Unit 2 (for the Wireless Operator) plus Junction Distribution No.1.

You will need the headsets with the gray "Tannoy" microphones for the Junction Distribution boxes. (They have carbon microphones and a 12V feed to the transformer in the J.D. to provide a high-level output on the "Speech" line.)

I hope this is some help. (I don't have any detail on the M-H armoured car.)

Chris.