View Single Post
Old 19-02-06, 09:36

Default Stowage on Staghounds

Hello Marco,

I am afraid that my wife's patience, and my pocket book would not stretch to restoring a full size Staghound, although it is something which I sure I would have enjoyed doing.

I have copies of several sets of drawings from the Tank Museum, and the stowage diagrams from Jeff Plowman's book. My model will be of a New Zealand one when it is finished.

Do you know the function of the small rectangular flaps coloured green in fig 18 that you posted?

One interesting "error" crept into the official war time drawinds that caused me looks of pain and anguish when trying to develop the plate drawings for my model.

The Tank Museum drawing B73601B produced in America on July 27, 1944 shows the rear plate which carries the exhaust pipe silencers as being square.

I got my first model well advanced, but when I tryed to fit the square rear plate, it became quite obvious that it would not fit.

My part finished model ended up in the box (a large one) of partly finished models, where I was stuck.

This really puzzled me, as the drawing looked so authentic, that I had assumed that it came from the original manufacturing plans. It was only when I saw a photograph in Plowman's book, of a Staghound from the rear that I suddenly realised months later that the plan was actually incorrect, both in the rear elevation and in the plan view.

A bit later I got the opportunity to measure up the Staghound in the reserve collection at the IWM at Duxford.

Now how am I going to convince my wife to let me have a Dingo Scout Car, my all time favourite armoured car?

Regards

Nick Balmer
Attached Thumbnails
plan of rear extract.jpg