View Single Post
Old 04-07-04, 15:56
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Yes it does! I wonder if you could help with another Kangaroo-related query?
With your knowledge of troop movements and such, could you make an educated guess about where the Kangaroo AWD site could have been located?
Geoff and I are trying to locate the site. We now have the name of a local collector, plus the museum at Bayeux has a 105-mm howitzer barrel and cradle on display which were clearly dug up from the ground. I will be sending them some letters asking for information but it would help to narrow down the search area.
Hanno/Geoff;

Some additional information I've come across in relation to the location of the 'AWD KANGAROO'. From what I've been able to determine, the intial M7 Priest 105mm How. SPGs that were converted to M7 Priest Kangaroo APCs, for Operation TOTALIZE, where those of the 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., who on 1 Aug 44 (and shortly after in the case of 34th Fd Bty, R.C.A.), turned in their M7 Priest 105mm How. SPG equipment to a Royal Artillery reorganization centre located at RYES, northeast of BAYEUX. These returned equipments were requested by Lt.-Gen. Simonds, via way of the First Canadian Army Commander, for permission of the Americans, to be converted to armoured personnel carriers for the up coming Operation TOTALIZE.

Because of the limited time factor, from the start of conversion to the launch of Operation TOTALIZE, ie: no time left over for driver training on the M7 Priest equipment, most of the original drivers from their service with 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., were employed has such for Operation TOTALIZE.

Not much, but it's a bit more information added.

Cheers