View Single Post
Old 05-07-04, 16:41
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 1

I had mentioned in an earlier post regarding the possible location of the 'AWD Kangaroo':

"I've come to the conclusion that the AWD (Advanced Workshop Detachment) 'Kangaroo', was established beside No. 14 Advanced Ordnance Depot, which was located just southeast of Bayeux, about 2 km south of the Bayeux-Caen road, outside of Audrieu (Audrieux), which is roughly 20 miles from the start line for Operation TOTALIZE and Louvigny, where the 36x Priest Kangaroos that were allotted to the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division were harboured after conversion, prior to the launch of TOTALIZE."

After further research and a couple of 'brain farts', I've come to the conclusion, that it was indeed, located outside of Audrieu (Audrieux). My reasons for this conclusion, I'll set out and explain over the next couple of posts (depending on length). First off, attached is a better map of the location of Audrieu (Audrieux), in relation to the main Bayeux-Caen road and also showing the area within the box: Audrieu-Loucelles-Brouay-Cristot-Audrieu, which was the area where 14 AOD was established as/at 1 Aug 44.

Source regarding the location of 14 AOD, was TO THE THUNDER HIS ARMS, THE ROYAL CANADIAN ORDNANCE CORPS (page 157), where it says: "It had been the intention to open the main advanced depot, No. 14 AOD, at Caen and to supply it via the Orne Canal by means of small ships and coasters. When the tenacious German defence of Caen made this impossible, it was necessary to choose another location for the depot. The site ultimately selected, in the first week of July, was in the open countryside near Audrieux (spelling used in 1944)."

Source regarding conclusion that 'AWD Kangaroo' was located outside of Audrieu (Audrieux) (and No. 14 AOD), was 1944, THE CANADIANS IN NORMANDY (page 151), where it says: "When orders came to start the conversion, Major Wiggan, who commanded an Army Troops Workshop, was given direct control of the operation, possibly because his men were reputed to be among the best scroungers with technical training. An Advanced Workshop Detachment was established in a field next to an Ordnance Depot near Bayeux." - which could only have been No. 14 AOD, which from the Audrieu/No. 14 AOD location is roughly 20 miles to the start line for Operation TOTALIZE, and a source that backs up this theory is CANADA'S CRAFTSMEN, THE STORY OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL CANADIAN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS AND OF THE LAND ORDNANCE ENGINEERING BRANCH (page 64), where it says: "AWD Kangaroo was set up in two fields near Bayeux with the camp site in the protection of a neighbouring orchard, about twenty miles from the start line."

Another indicator that it was located outside of Audrieu, is the proximity of this location to the REME/RCEME area of the Rear Maintenance Area of 21st Army Group (a layout of which I'll post later) and the fact that CANADA'S CRAFTSMEN, THE STORY OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL CANADIAN ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERS AND OF THE LAND ORDNANCE ENGINEERING BRANCH (page 64), states that "Fourteen Canadian and British units contributed and pooled their efforts and skills in the project." - these units referred to, would no doubt, be from the REME/RCEME Workshops, etc., that were established within the REME/RCEME area of the RMA of 21st AG.

I'll cut this now and continue in Post # 2.

Cheers

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 05-07-04 at 16:48.