View Single Post
Old 10-06-13, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Colin Stevens notes on his webpage http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/cmp_canad...y_pattern.htm:
"Dodge CMP prototype - Note large name plate on grill, and spindly front hubs. From DESIGN RECORD Volume 5 p. 27D of 2 book set."

Did anyone who has access to it, check the Design Record?

H.
Well, I could sell you my ORIGINAL "DESIGN RECORD" A.E.D.B. 1945 2-Vol set and you could double check it for yourself. ;-)

I have only found the photo that I scanned. Yes it is grainy but the best and the ONLY image of this truck that I have seen. I have found no mention of it anywhere. The identification was by me because the Design Record used the photo as a generic late cab model illustration - but the name plate and hub spindles caught my eye!

I suspect that only one was made. It is not known to have survived.

Interestingly several of the older DND Pattern (later called CMP) pilot models have survived. I am defining prototype as THE one original, hand-built made by a manufacturer and Pilot as the limited production e.g. 6 or 20 or whatever pre-production.

Here are some surviving Pilot models of the Canadian 15-Cwt. trucks.

FORD
  1. Bill Gregg had one complete. Now in the RCA Museum in CFB Shilo.
  2. Don and Katrinka Gordon have one under restoration ex-Gary Moonie and believed to be the one in the photo with my Dad in Niagara on the Lake route march in c.1941. Found near Victoria, BC and still in that area. They have a 2A1 original wooden cargo box ("tray" to our friends down undah) from the first pattern 15 Cwt which I brought out from Saskatchewan for it as it is identical to what these Pilot models had except for the notch in the tailgate. It can be used as a pattern. They have not yet progressed to the cargo box.
  3. Cab only. In the Canadian War Museum collection.

CHEVROLET
  1. 1938 (?) 15-Cwt found in B.C. Interior by Albert Siemons [possibly one of at least two used by the Westminster Regt - re war time photos]. Has a flatbed body on back. Painted white. Cab very complete and original. I passed it up ($1,000) as I did not have a good place to put it or resoures to restore this rare ... nay UNIQUE .... Canadian treasure so I told the CWM about it and they bought it. It is the ONLY one that I know survives. At least one was taken overseas woith the 1st Canadian Division as it shows up in Seaforth photos.

Then there are Prototypes or Pilots of various models e.g. Roy Wellburn of Williams Lake BC had one of the HU-ZL (Wireless repair) made by the factrory which converted an early HUP. It had both sets of data plates on it! It went to Manitoba and is supposed be coming back to BC. The new owner is not a club member.

Colin

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC