View Single Post
Old 14-12-11, 01:06

Default Four Hours of Engine Test

Hi All

Ran the engine for the HUP on the test stand for 4 hours yesterday. Engine started easily and ran very smooth accept at very low RPMs when there was a decided flick to the vacuum gauge and rough note to the engine exhaust note. Possibly a valve that is not quite sealing possible cause in proper valve adjustment. Will need to check the valve tappet settings after next engine test, once the engine is up to fully equalize temperature.

Concerning my last posting about the restriction in line to the oil filter. Took a bunch of fittings and made up a valved bypass to see if the restriction makes any difference in the oil pressure. Simple answer no difference cold oil 40F or 140F open close the valve so oil is going through the restriction or not.

Once engine is at full temperature 160-180F the oil pressure at 400-500 RPM is steady between 7-10 PSI which is a little lower than I expected for a freshly machined engine with all the bearing clearances by the book. But before I get to worried about try a different oil pressure gauge, first the one out the HUP (0-80 PSI range) vs (5-100 PSI) of the gauge on the test stand.

With the engine running on the test stand and the exhaust pipe hard piped out side the engine can be run with the shop closed up. A 216 running from 400 to 1200 RPM and the fan cooling the radiator heats the shop very nicely, the furnace never came on.

Cheer Phil
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Dec 13 HUP.jpg  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com