View Single Post
Old 05-11-18, 19:26
carrier mech

Adrian

You are likely right.....the Sorel guns were built in the late 50s, so were built using the side locking ring rims which were in use at the time.

Canada used the side locking rings on the old M135 from the 1950s, and later the M35 (MLVW) from the 1980s. Around 2002, the DND decided these were dangerous, and replaced all the wheels and tires on the MLVWs as well as the 1.5 ton trailers, over to a rims similar to these bolt together rims from WW2. The big difference was that the new tires were tubeless, and depended on an O-ring in the rim to hold the air. The O-ring channels were very susceptible to corrosion, resulting in flat tire after flat tire. I have repaired dozens of these flat tires over the years, and never once found it was due to a nail or a tire issue....always that darn O-ring.

Anyway, now that I have wandered in my own thread, thanks for the lead. I may head down to the dustbowl later and see if we have anything similar floating around there. Perhaps the Mack NO is similar.