Thread: Heads Up: 10.50-16 directional tyres
View Single Post
Old 03-02-07, 05:32
Derek Heuring

Default On the subject of DOT acceptance:

Wallace Wade uses Specialty Tires of America to make his tires. They have three factories in the U.S., one of which is located in Indiana, PA., which, I believe, is the one he will use to make the 10.50X16s. The 900X16 NDTs I bought last year were from them and had all the Government Uniform Tire Quality Grading Standard information molded onto the sidewalls which is a federal safety requirement. I'm sure that with the advent of the FTA these tires will most likely be automatically accepted by the Canadian DOT. I imported a set of tires for my '42 GPW years ago from Brent Mullins Jeep Parts in College Station, Texas with no problem whatsoever, although I did have to pay duty as the 600X16s I bought would fit a Volkswagen Beetle. Specialty Tires of America's tires meet or exceed O.E.M. tires for treadwear, traction, and temperature requirements, so their web site states. They also state that they use a "ply rating" system which means that an 8 ply tire doesn't necessarily have 8 plys...just the ability to support the load and air pressure of an 8 ply tire. Something to consider when buying their tires, although I'm sure most of our vehicles won't suffer the same strenuous use that they did when in military hands. Hope this info helps, Derek.