View Single Post
Old 28-02-11, 02:55
Mr. HUP

Default Paint and Other Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Rob

Below are pictures of the two areas you mentioned the tow rings and the cross member area just under the driver back wall. I have not seen any evidence of problems, guess my HUP as lived a more sheltered life despite a lot of off roading. I guess I abused it in the way that it was designed to be used, as compared to the many HUPs that were made into tow trucks by local garages. Next area of discussion I want to bring up is what I've found as paint colors. My frame was primed with black paint, possibly not true primer as it is a gloss black, this was over sprayed with a layer of Olive Drab which was unevenly applied some areas missed completely and others nearly an 1/8" thick. It is obvious that the frame and parts bolted to it were sprayed OD before assembly then the whole underside was sprayed again once assemble. This is evident because the engine which was painted black had OD over spray shadow areas from the splash shields.
Transmission, bell housing, transfer case appear to just have been painted with OD. They had to have been painted before installation because there is paint in hidden areas. Cheers Phil
Hi Phil, The discussion on paint could go on for decades...My HUP had brown paint as the primer coat - I have photos of my rear fenders that show brown with green overspray. So, who knows what the norm was? It is all conjecture. Therefore, what ever you paint your truck/engine/tranny matters very little. I am sure that the LADs in the forward area did not give two thoughts to paint when they reassembled components in rebuilt trucks. They probably used whatever they had at hand.

By the way, your tow rings look almost pristine...Have you given any thought as to the nice hole arrangement found on the center of the last cross member of the later models of HUPs? I heard theories that they were bolt holes for a tow hook, but think that if it was, that area would have been properly reinforced. As well, the last cross member is tucked in under the rear body making it very difficult to reach. My HUP also has the chain locker located under the body leaving very little room for a tow hook.

Any theories about those holes?