Thread: Humber FV1600
View Single Post
Old 18-05-07, 17:29
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Hi Richard -
I agree with everything that you are saying, and you would think that with a website name llike 'Doug's Heavy Metal' he would like the fact that they are heavy.

It's a funny old world and we all like different stuff, and Doug clearly knows what he's talking about on most stuff - and it is true that in some circumstances a Humber would get stuck where a lighter vehicle would not - a Citroen 2CV or an Austin Seven will go places where an Alvis Stalwart will not go but it would be wrong to draw the conclusion that the Stalwart is not as capable a machine as these two undoubted masterpieces of design.

Also, if you tried to use Stalwarts as delivery vans they would seem like more trouble than they are worth - but this is what has effectively happened to the Humber ever since the CT vehicle project was axed in '56 and they were re-classified GS. In concept OI would say that the Humber is closer to the Stalwart than to a Bedford RL (a magnificent load carrier....) but I would also say in answer to Doug's points that a Humber is also a more practical proposition for running around in for fun - to the shops, to work, to the pub - sure it is not the fastest vehicle ever but it is certainly quick enough and on any run I always need to stop to let my friend's WC52 Dodge Weapons carrier catch up. So how fast does this thing NEED to be?

I can see that someone taking the engine to bits did not help, along with perished tyres - but I dragged mine oout of a shed where it had sat for 25 years, registered it, painted it, got the lights to work and the brakes to work (a bit) and drove it 170 miles home....