Thread: 11:11:11
View Single Post
Old 14-11-11, 02:50
Terry Warner

Default 11 Nov in Ottawa

I found my son's elementary school principal about 3 weeks ago to tell her I would be available to speak at their assembly - if I was invited. The designated teacher found me last week, and I forwarded an approved National Defence powerpoint presentation for the occassion. Ordinarily servicemen and women are not supposed to speak in public. There are Public Affairs officers for that job, except under the conditions of Operation Connection. The military goes out of its way to solicit and support uniformed speakers to go to schools and groups, and spread the word. Connecting Canadians to their military is considered a very good thing.

The school assembly started at 0935. Another school dad, a reserved LCol on paid education sat beside me at the front. The classes placed their wreaths across the front the stage. Songs were sung. Poems recited. And then I rose onto my hind legs and spoke. The first thing I asked was for show of hands for who had a military relative. The principal, the secretary, many parents and lots of kids. I talked about how to learn who to remember and who are veterans. Simple and age appropriate for 4yr olds and up.

Then my wife drove me downtown in time to catch the run up to the national services at the National War Memorial downtown. Straight forward service, timed to the clock strike. The Act of Remembrance in English, French and a First Nation language I didn't recognize. Gun salutes, CF18 and Griffon helo flypasts, followed by Vintage Wings' Corsair and Mustang. The one prayer I look forward to is by our local rabbi. A stirring speaker whose choice of words always stirs me.

Ottawans get the solemnity of the occassion; two jokers were arrested in Toronto for disturbing the peace during the Mayor's speech.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!