View Single Post
Old 27-12-04, 14:29
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray

As well, the current crop of flag rank officers almost to a man were against the invasion of Iraq for rather similar reasons and have proven to at least have been correct in their assessment that it would not be a cakewalk. It is one thing to knock out an army and leave and quite another to occupy a country like Iraq or any country in Asia.
Yes, Bill, I am sad to say that I think the US administration have created a new Vietnam themselves by:

1. Dissolving the Iraqi Armed Forces (many thousends of soldiers lost their salaries and have nothing else to do than forming guerilla units).

2. Dissolving the Baath party (and thereby destroying the civil administration).

3. Thinking that air bombing is a medicin that could cure all problems (and thereby destroying the infra-structure).

It is easy to be wise afterwards but I think like this:

1. No "strategic" bombings on infra-structure. Only tactical bombings in the combat zone.

2. Baath party officials (except for war criminals) should remain in office and attend a weekly two hours lecture in democracy.

3. Iraqi Armed Forces (except for war criminals) should remain armed and made responsible for internal security supervised by US personell.

Photo: HRH Prince Bertil in Delaware 1938. As I understand there is a village somewhere in the US named Stockholm.
Attached Images