Thread: Heads Up: 1952 cdn m43
View Single Post
Old 08-07-13, 18:15

Default History

Thanks Robin and your correct the hunt for history can be most satisfying when it works out. With Scott Bently's help we can be lucky somethimes if the vehicle #'s are accessible and due to the age of this vehilce I wasn't so lucky but was very happy with what I found on the vehicle.

Mainly due to this vehicle not being passed around from person to person I was just lucky at what I found. I had no intentions at first of owning this ambulance but when I found out my buddy was going to cut it up for metal scrap if he didn't sell it, I had to do something and glad I did.

In doing my research I have to say it's to bad alot of our local museums don't have records or items to display of that PINE TREE line era. By this I mean even my local home town of Prince George dosen't have anything on display about CFS Baldy Hughes which was open from 1955 to 1988. It was operated by the 918th AC&W US Air Force then RCAF 54th AC&W, but nothing on display or even mentioned thru out the museum, may be in the archives in the basement who know's. Kamloops, BC had one of the Radar dish's on display from CFS Kamloops radar station but not near the museum but at least it was in a fenced display near the park.

When I called the museum in Williams lake, BC. and asked about Puntzi Mtn radar station and what they might have for display he mentioned just the steel door from the Guard house but that was in a shed some where and a few photo's.

It might sound like im bashing museums for what they chose to display but in reality I'm not - just merly mentioning the loss of some of our military history even in our own home town's that had the establishment stationed there.

I have to say it can be most rewarding in the hunt for history.

Cheers
86' ILTIS #88170
M101 CDN2 1/4 ton trailer
52' M43 USAF 917th AC&W / RCAF 55th AC&W