Thread: Factory colours
View Single Post
Old 19-10-06, 21:37
David Pope

Default Desert colours

I found this thread on the old forum and it answers my question about interior colours after a repaint, but I was already pretty sure that was the case.

"Light stone agreed as the colour pattern for MT vehicles for the Middle East.

Camouflage Designs - IMT (SK) 1263 (Sheets 1-6), Ministry of Supply Specification MC 205J, Tint Plates, Khaki Green No.3, Control Shades 219 & 235."

This was sent from Dep.Nat. Def.,Ottawa to Can.Mil.HQ

"Paint Spec. CS/1289 Grey dark, CS/1276 Light green No.5 special, CS/1275 Light Indian red special, CS/1274 Dark Tarmac No.4 special, CS/1273 Light Sand special, CS/1272 Middle Stone special, CS/1193 Light Stone, CS/955 Ammonium Nitrate."

Some vehicles if they were painted in Light Stone or Sand for the desert campaign and then were shipped to Sicily and/or Italy were painted as they were crossing! The outside of the vehicles were usually only done with the interior remaining the original colour."

Now, we know what light stone, green no5, tarmac no4, and dark grey are, but what about Indian red, light sand and middle stone? I've seen references to early vehicles being painted in a 3 colour MTP20 scheme and a few B+W pictures but what combo would have been used in N Africa?