Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 16-02-17, 22:58
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Dave as far as I can make out from the ebay pictures, all three have the embossed lettering, but like you, I'll see what I get.

I've had this one for years in my universal carrier and haven't paid much attention to it in a long time. But inside it has a fixed wooden block with lots of holes and there is a No9 Morse key? Maybe Chris can enlighten me what it's all about? Ron
The full complement of spares (and the actual holes in the block) vary according to the set and supply unit. Usually there's a contents list in the lid.

Standard contents are:

Left to right....
1 x spare microphone insert (dynamic type).
12 x 250mA fuses for the supply unit.
4 x Bulbs, 12 volt, 'F', ditto.
2 x replacement fuse carriers (in case you drop them into the bowels of your AFV, never to be seen again).
2 x LT brushes and 4 x HT brushes for the dynamotor.
carried loose in the tin (or in small envelopes)

Spare wire clips for the 6pt and 12pt plugs on set and supply unit, control boxes, etc.
Spare wire clips for the Pye connectors on the set.
Spare circlips for the 6 & 12 point cable connectors.
Rubber (blind) grommets for plugging unused holes in the set canvas cover and possibly unused droplead connectors on junction boxes.
4 x flick locking screws.
2 each Aerial Pigtails for the A and B set aerial bases (8 or 10, and 9)
The morse key.

Optional (not always supplied): dummy antenna (AFV kits only, I think.)

The operator lamp sometimes ended up in the box, too.

The dynamotor brushes varied according to the supply unit, and I think were discontinued later on as the were rarely needed. Likewise the quantity of springs and clips were reduced post-WW2. Sets with the Canadian Supply Unit No.2 also got 12 x 10 Amp fuses for the vibrator part of the supply, these had a blue band on them as a distinguishing mark.

Regards,
Chris.