View Single Post
Old 01-07-19, 02:44

Default Microphone, Hand No. C3

Not much time for the 52-Set Project right now, with the Summer season here. The addition of outside chores to the routine, along with an endless stream of heat waves this year, has a significant limiting factor on what one can get motivated to accomplish indoors.

Related projects have been the norm recently. I was able to more closely evaluate the accuracy of my tube tester. It does need a new tube itself, but the type needed falls into todays ‘pricy tubes’ category. However, by letting it warm up and stabilize for 15 to 20 minutes before testing any tubes, and by going through a number of tubes with known values from another tester, I have been able to determine it currently runs about 16 points lower in readings than it should. So it can be worked with until a suitably priced NOS tube shows up for it.

The second outside project has been getting my oscilloscope up and running, as it will soon be needed for the 52-Set Project. More on the scope later on a separate thread.

I did recall the other day that the Microphone, Hand No. C3 for my 52-Set had some duct tape wrapped around the lower handle at some time in its history. The fabric of the tape had eventually fallen away, but the glue base had remained, firmly in place.

One of the advantages of working part time at an auto dealership detail shop is one has access to some marvellous solvents and cleaners. I decided to see what a spray bottle of our ‘Safe Solve’ could do with the glue residue. It is a very friendly solvent with paints and plastics and before long, the glue was starting to soften and come off with a solvent dampened cloth. After about 20 minutes of work, the glue residue was completely gone and the only thing still on the back of the microphone was the small yellow C-Broad Arrow stamp on the upper back.

So a little bit of progress.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Microphone, Hand No. C3 A.JPG   Microphone, Hand No. C3 B.JPG   Microphone, Hand No. C3 C.JPG