View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 18:53

Default 52-Set Satchel, Signals

I found an interesting anomaly in the Wireless Sets, Canadian No, 52 Working Instructions Manual this morning.

While looking through the tables of parts at the back of the manual, I found that under the Kit No. 2, Operating Kit listings on Page 158, 2 Satchels, Signals No. 1 were noted under the ANCILLARIES Column.. That struck me as very odd since no other wireless set manual I have in my possession shows more than one Satchels, Signals listed. Never any spares. If what you had needed replacing, you simply requisitioned a new one from the Supply chain.

A quick look at the Master Parts List showed only one Satchel, Signals issued.

To double check, I went to the photo of the Major Items of Complete Station on Page 33 of the manual. Just one satchel noted in the photograph. That would be sufficient for the usual contents of 3 headsets, a Microphone, Hand No. C3 and a Morse Key for the main set.

To be certain, I took a look at the photograph of the items issued with the Case, Operating, Remote Receiver on Page 114. No second satchel there. The two headsets for the Remote Receiver have their own storage compartment at one end of the case so do not require a satchel.

I suspect therefore, that the listing in the 52-Set manual for 2 Satchels, Signals is a typographical error that was missed when the manual was rewritten from its original Wireless Set No. 9 Mk II Canadian Status to the unanticipated new Wireless Set No. 52 Canadian. This type of error is consistent with the large number of parts referenced in the Master List as having part numbers that are incorrect, which should be ignored.

David