View Single Post
Old 12-07-19, 17:43

Default Torches, Hand, 2-Cell, No. C1 WB/CAN 4737

Here is another example of how the detail in the illustrations from the 52-Set Parts List provide valuable information to help correctly identify parts.

If one starts researching this torch with the Working Instructions Manual, the photograph on Page 124 shows the torch to be an angle head item, with a small diameter clear lens. The description on Page 160 simply is “Torches Hand 2 Cell” and notes that either it, or, “Torches Hand 2 Cell, Eveready No. 9250” can be issued with the set, but not both.

I tried searching for more information on the Eveready torch but have yet to find any images of one. I am assuming it might be a similar design to the other referenced item.

Then I took a closer look at the illustration and description of the torch in the Master Parts List. The text provided another clue; the torch had a plastic body, not painted brass. A closer look at the illustration finally revealed a possible model number cast inside the circle on the side of the torch by the neck: TL-122-B. A web search for that model number produced a flood of results. Too many really. It was quickly evident a number of manufacturers were involved in the production of these torches during the war.

I did notice, however, that a number of manufacturers placed their name in the circle on the left side of the torch and the model number was on the right side only. So I started by ruling them out. Then I noticed whenever a torch showed up with the model number cast on both sides of the neck, the manufacturers name was cast into the bottom cap of the torch. That helped narrow things down even more.

Another look at the illustration showed a very distinct shield shaped switch plate, with the slide switch below the button switch. Over four months, only two shield shaped switch plates ever showed up on line. Most were rectangular of some style. Of the two shield styles, one was a perfect match. Any torches with it also had the model number on both sides of the head. Turns out the maker of this torch is GITS (GITS BROTHERS MANUFACTURING COMPANY), and their logo is cast into the bottom cap.

Again, I could not have sorted this all out without the details in the Parts List illustrations.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Torches, Hand, 2-Cell, No. C1  WB:CAN 4737.jpg   Torches, Hand, 2-Cell, No. C1  WB:CAN 4737 A.JPG   Torches, Hand, 2-Cell, No. C1  WB:CAN 4737 B.JPG   Torches, Hand, 2-Cell, No. C1  WB:CAN 4737 C.JPG