View Single Post
Old 29-03-05, 09:05

Gentlemen

I would not necessarily dismiss the possibilty of these vehicles serving in the Polish Armoured Division on the basis that of no photographs exist or veterans cannot remember using them.

I have close connects with the 43rd Recce OCA and when Peters article first appeared it rasied a lot of questions. Veterans who had previously denied using certain vehicles when challenged further, changed their minds, and further evidence later came to light. When I pointed out the presence of Wasp and Windsor Carrier's in a regimental photograph, every one had forgotten using them.

Another 43rd classic is the well known Autocar article when the journalist recalls riding in a Morris LRC belong to the Recce HQ of a well known West Country Division. He had just road tested a Morris for Autocar so he should have known the difference, but both Peters article and the veterans deny this.

Units throughout the NW Europe campaign acquired vehicles which they did not have entitlement to, and immeadiately after the war when the Poles probably got these vehicles, strange things did happen.

I had enough problems trying to get still serving soldiers in my ex-regiment to rember what markings they used to have on their Saladins.