View Single Post
Old 30-09-14, 12:51
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi all,

I'm 31. I started with my first jeep at 19, then a second at 20 and so on.

I guess I'm different in my interest though as my parents both met in the Sydney based Vintage Motor Club (celebrating its 60th anniversary just last week!). Dad with a 1928 Oldsmobile, Mum a 1930 straight 8 Nash, both cars still in the family and regularly rallied (well the Nash is getting an engine rebuild at be moment!). I first cottoned onto the idea of the lack of young people in clubs in my early teens- despite the VMC getting alot of cars on rallies and we went to a lot of rallies around NSW/the east coast too, my younger brother and I were often the youngest or only young ones on the rally!

Regardless, I have 'won'/been awarded youngest driver at the major rallies we attend each Easter for far too long. The last time I got it (2012) I stood up and asked the room (300 people much much my senior) how many had a child or even better grandchild over 16. Alot of hands went up. I then said that everyone with their hand up needs to let those kids drive their cars that at then 30, I was tired of getting and didn't want to be given youngest driver any more!

I think the fact of the matter is alot of kids have alot more on their mind. There is so much on offer to attract them in every direction and probably by the time they get to a point they might be able to show an interest (if not inspired by their parents/family/friends) alot are trying to afford a house of family and an old car, whatever the age is not high on the list or, for manyof the vehicles we have, an affordable option in todays market prices- 15-30k jeeps dosnt help them much! I'm just lucky that I was able to buy a jeep cheap enough and had parents with the space and encouragement to help me restore it. I think when prices drop which they will (look at the low true 1919-1930 vintage car prices in the 90's opposed to the higher prices of the 80's) as others have said, that will help more enter the hobby.

Not an easy one to solve and I also think we'll just need continued and varying approaches. The days of clubs (which cater for our vehicles and older) just sitting back and young members approaching the with or looking to buy a car are long gone I'd say. Plus, the old idea (maybe already eluded to above) that 'kids' of today will be interested in their parents era of cars doesn't help. All that said there are young guys and girls moving through the clubs I see around NSW- take a look at the Corowa swim in- there is an increasing younger group of people there! So, young people are getting involved, just not in the numbers many of us would like to see.

Curiously though, when I see pictures of rallies in Europe (admittedly MV ones) there are ALOT of young guys and girls driving vehicles, so there is an interest there somewhere. I wonder what European clubs or cultures have done which helps promote his, or am I just seeing a small group of people over and over relative to the technology I am viewing them on?

Cheers,
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net

Last edited by Ian Fawbert; 30-09-14 at 12:54. Reason: iPad typo's!