View Single Post
Old 24-01-18, 21:38

Well,

I was starting to think the same thing but realized there is hope.

When we started the Military Jeep Club of Queensland (all military vehicles and possibly the largest Military club in Australia) back in 74 we used to have serious bush runs. Often with 30 vehicles with mud, steep country, creek crossings or beach runs. These were family oriented and heaps of kids came along.

A large number drove vehicles in controlled situations away from the road. My daughter could drive a blitz easily at 12 years old.

As time went by the kids grew out of going on trips with their parents and the club changed to a membership of paraders and showers, not users. I think this was a combination of the increase in cost and an ageing group.

Many of the old crew who did not mind getting their vehicles dirty continued but runs became smaller and definitely more sedate.

I was starting to lose interest but quite suddenly those kids of the 70's, 80's and 90's started to re-emerge with their own kids after a break to make a living and raise a family.

We now have strong bush camping often with more than 50 vehicles, very family oriented with herds of rug-rats in their mini-jeeps, climbing trees, exploring the bush, falling in the creek and getting covered in mud. You can see the great majority from about 8 years old being taught to drive a jeep by their dad. By the time they reach 14 or 15 they are full-on driving off road and dad just sits there beside them.

I do despair about today's button and screen do-nothing generation but when I see those other kids I think there is hope for the world.

Lang