View Single Post
Old 02-01-19, 01:37

We had interstate visitors on New Years Eve, the last day of 2018. They had not been to this area before so, it being a beautiful day weatherwise, I took them for a run in my Dodge WC57 Command Car to show them some of the local sites.
We live only about 5 kilometres from an extinct volcanic core known as Hanging Rock which some may be aware of due to the movie titled 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' based on a book of the same title.It's an interesting feature and can be viewed from the road from all four sides and climbed if you wish.
Nearby is a section of public road (Straws Lane) which has an unusual feature in that you can stop on the road which has all the appearance of being a downhill run and the vehicle will, to the bewilderment of all, roll backwards up the incline you have just descended. It is an optical illusion of course but intriguing non the less.
We had just moved on from the incline demonstration when we were passed by a highway patrol vehicle going the other way which appeared in my rear view mirror a couple of minutes later. He was right behind us when I had to stop at an intersection on a steep incline that required a hand brake start and right hand turn. I executed this quite well and was relieved when he turned left and went in the opposite direction. No doubt they had run a check on our registration. I was glad that I had filled in my log book for the day. It's about $750 if you haven't done so.
Happy New Year to all.
David