View Single Post
Old 15-04-19, 02:43

Default Nwe

Hi again Dan,

I was posted to 4 Maint Coy in Ft. Chambly in Nov. '69. One of my duties was as a Mobile Repair Team member thus the second line task of changing out Centurion FVGCE metadynes when they fail. Got to do the last Sennelager ftx at which 3 Mech Cdo Regt. was stood up; rained like a *****! Did the great gypsy caravan trek down the autobahn to Lahr in Fall of 70. Did some more metadyne and rotary base junction box changes in Lahr.

Posted to the Dragoons in time for Fallex 47/Reforger 74. Lt.Col. Dangerfield was the CO at the time, as I remember. I worked with B Sqn. during FALLEX then sent back on course to Borden where I was promoted to Sgt. and thus on return to Lahr, got stuck into HQ Sqn. Did the Ypres/Nijmegen Marches then in the fall, was involved with the Leopard Loan event. Attended a Bundeswehr tech school for training on the Leo 1 electrical/electronics systems. Turned this knowledge into a course for 1st and 2nd Line techs and taught same along with a WO from Maint Coy. Was then tasked to go as a tech QA rep to the Bundeswehr depot workshop where the Loan Leos were being refurbed after being withdrawn from an Bundeswehr armoured unit and prior to being issued to us. In '77, I was tasked as the FCS team leader for the RCD CAT Trophy team which they subsequently won. The interesting things about that was that the Leo 1 had a huge stereoscopic (?) rangefinder which our guys just couldn't quite come to grips with. So, if I remember correctly, one of the burly tankers came up with the brilliant idea of jury- rigging a sight using a washer and piece of rod that could be used as a quick fix aiming point. That could be bumkum but that's as I remember it.

Rotated back to Canada in '78; end of RCD saga.

My apologies to those readers expecting Centurion related war stories but next time I'll reveal what happened in '73 when the Armoured Squadron at the Combat Arms School in Gagetown received some rebuilt
Centurions from 202 Workshop. The story starts with the unit welder being tasked to take his torch and disable an equal number of Centurions that were being replaced. The reburbs and junkers were parked side by each. Later.