View Single Post
Old 10-08-17, 12:40

Default A difference of pinions.....

Thanks Dale & Ron,

Colour is hopefully Khaki Green No.3. I do have a NOS part in matt green with the colour being close enough, especially once it fades.

Diff is pulled apart. The axles had been removed at some point so I was not expecting good things once the diff was opened up. In this respect I was not disappointed as ,despite there being plenty of petrified oil, the pinion is quite worn and at some stage the crown wheel has dropped bits on a few teeth.

As this carrier was fitted with the muff coupling, I want to keep it that way. I had thought that this was the last style of the three couplings but after research on the web, it seems that this ten splined pinion was late 30's and according to the hot rod forums, hard to find

Other that the crown wheel and pinion, the rest of the diff is very good, I'll throw a complete set of new bearings in there whilst it's all apart.

I'm also a little perplexed by the brake hub springs. It seems also that this four spring configuration was unique to 1938. Consequently there is very little information on the return springs and I can't locate any modern equivalents. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2032.JPG   IMG_2033.JPG   IMG_2256.jpg  

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)