View Single Post
Old 11-08-17, 14:05

Default The vagaries of defence equipment.....

Hi Lynn,

Thanks, one of the first things I look for before beginning a restoration is the manuals - it generally saves a lot of errors (but then being slightly impetuous creates a few as well). I do have to remind myself that, soldiers being soldiers, and the army being the army, equipment changes when finally in service.

I have four manuals - still missing page 13 from "List of Spare Parts" to anyone reading (hint, hint).

The spare parts catalogue (Section E, Page 1) draws reference to 1938 diffs fitted to carrriers post 01JAN42 so I assume these are LP2a not just LP2's. It also lists two ratios 5.83 and 6.66. I cannot locate a stamp on the diff housing but sand-blasting may reveal this later. Ratio is 6.66.

Fittings on the diff housing are 1938 Type 1. This carrier post dates the manual SN's for fitting of this axle - (does anyone know how to date carrier SN's?) so given that all the parts match, it is highly probable that this diff is correct for this hull.

Another strange aspect is the offside front guard, sand blasting revealed that this had the holes for the front guard mounted data plate welded up. A case of SAR or the ADF using older stock?

"He who has the tiger by the tale, is often afraid to let go" - Confucius

Ford FGT No.9 (long suffering restoration project)
25 Pdr (Under Restoration)
No.27 Artillery Trailer (Under Restoration)
Bit and pieces of a 2 pdr AT (Looking for bits)
LP2a Carrier - 3" Mortar Trials (Restored)