View Single Post
Old 22-02-19, 14:03
Darryl

Default M8 restoration

Hi all,

I’ve been busy with work and life for the last few weeks and I haven’t posted for a while, so here are a few updates on what I’ve been up to on the M8.

I have stripped and reconditioned the transfer case. Overall it was not in bad shape and I don’t think it has been that long since it has been apart. All the flanges came off easily which I’ve found is a good indicator. The gears had some light corrosion on them from the transfer case sitting around with little oil in it. As per the photos, some of the teeth on a couple of the gears had some pitting resulting from the corrosion from that sitting around. I have cleaned that up and the pitting shouldn’t create any issues.

The bearings looked good and just required cleaning. I cleaned up all the gears and flushed and cleaned the internals. I found some oil seals ‘off the shelf’ from a local supplier which were the correct size for the bearing caps. The same seal is required for the handbrake drum bracket but the fit on this was a whole lot tighter, and it needed some persuasion to get it in there.

I did notice a very fine hairline crack in the front axle declutch housing. Looking back at my pre-disassembly photos, I see the crack was there and just visible under the old paint, so it might have been there for a long time with the paint and dirt holding it together. I have covered it in some epoxy adhesive which should seal it. I made up new gaskets, and cleaned all the shims from each bearing cap and fitted them as they were. All clearances seemed pretty good. I cleaned up the rest of the transfer case and a coat of paint freshened it up nicely. Let’s hope it doesn’t leak!

I fabricated some retainers for the rubber mounting cushions out of a bit of channel with some angled steel which will form the mounting strips on the sides. I will finish the welding and tidy them up over the weekend and then hoist the transfer case up into place on the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_094820.jpg   20190204_113511.jpg   20190204_115238.jpg   20190205_133155.jpg   20190206_111040.jpg  

Darryl Lennane

1943 Willys MB
1941 Willys MBT Trailer
1941 Australian LP2A Machine Gun Carrier
1943 White M3A1AOP Scout Car
1944 Ford M8 Armoured Car
1945 Ford M20 Armoured Car