View Single Post
Old 21-04-21, 14:11
MLU Administrator

Default Serial Number

Thank for the update, Jakko!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakko Westerbeke View Post
Unfortunately, I could not find a chassis number on the hull. The vehicle data plate is long gone, and the area where the chassis number should be stamped into the sponson floor is very rusted — not to mention that the plate sounded very thin when I knocked on it, so I suspect it’s been replaced at some point previously (as someone told me when the tank was moved back in December).
Michel shared the webpage with details on where to find the serial numbers on a Sherman above.

I recall last December when we looked at the rear and front towing lugs that the rear ones were especially rusty. I'd suggest to go back and try to carefully file and scrape the indicated locations to try to get some numbers to show up. If you wait till after sandblasting, the numbers which may remain in or under the rust layer will have been blasted away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58444929_2207858359293136_7450316340570619904_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	121584

Quote:
I also fortuitously arrived just in time to hopefully correct the front mudguards. They had been looking at them recently, and were about to remake them as they had been — that is, flat and rectangular. I explained the shape they should have and will send them some drawings showing the real shape (scanned from a model kit’s instructions).
Thanks for that intervention. If they need them ready-made, please contact Adrian Barrell as he has made copies in the past.