Thread: Comox
View Single Post
Old 12-01-17, 22:39

Default Operation Cottage.

A very big affair . A Combined Operations thing , one of the very first of the Second World War. Amphibious , Forward Air Support , Naval Gunfire .

Canada had a whole Brigade involved. I knew a gentleman . Mr. Pelletier from Sherbrooke Qc were I am from , that participated.

He had enlisted as an NCM in Le Régiment the Hull to participate in that one . He eventually was combat promoted to an officer commission in Europe and later became the CO of my former Militia Regiment , The Sherbrooke Fusiliers after the war.

As it turned out , the Japs had left when the Combined Forces arrived . The only casualties were from friendly fire in the fog.
It is still used in Staff College as an example of the employment of a Joint Force at the Operational Level.

The 1 st special Service Force was the Special Forces component of a conventional amphibious Force during Op Cottage . They were charged with capturing certain C2 points ( Command and control ) but ultimately they encountered no opposition.

Initial training of the force was in St- Helena Montana . The beach landing training was done here.
It was a big thing at the time and it is still a big thing today and it all started in and around Courtenay BC .

They were the first. today's Canadian Special Operations Forces ( SOF ) are the direct descendants and have made theirs the symbol representing the 1 SSF, the V-42 fighting knife.

It is a big deal in my view. A very big deal.We do have a military history and it is worth telling.

Cheers.
Attached Images

94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 13-01-17 at 00:20.