Thread: Humber FV1600
View Single Post
Old 25-04-06, 08:58
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by alan coulson
Does anyone have manual's for one of these i think i need it!
You will indeed be looking for manuals in the plural. Around this time the British army split the "manual" into several segments dealing with maintenance and repair at several levels. Typically, the drivers manual with some basic data, unit field repair, unit base repair, REME field repair and REME base repair.

Each document goes into a successively deeper level and there would be a technical description and an illustrated parts list too - handy document as the assemblies are shown in exploded view.

The RR B Range engine has its own manual being a common type used in 4, 6 and 8 cylinder versions.

None of these are that uncommon here and often seen on dealers tables, it may be a different story in Oz I'm afraid.

If the truck has stood for many, many years un-run and almost certainly un-inhibited, may I suggest you bring the engine to life in a careful manner, this may well save it from severe damage in the first few revs owing to all the dry bearings.

It is a conventional wet sump configured RR B60 Mk.5A or 5K engine and with some consideration of the breather locations as we don't want to make a mess, absolutely fill it with oil until it will take no more and let it sit a day or two, then drain down to the correct level, motor it on the starter for a few seconds with the plugs out and then go for it.

This works for almost any engine too and I have seen a few wrecked with scored bores, picked-up bearings and scuffed cams where well-meaning people have succeded in getting a chuff out of a long unrun engine.

R.