Thread: Humber FV1600
View Single Post
Old 17-05-07, 18:56
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Default Re: Broken Hill (Aus.) Humber

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Coutts-Smith
Here's one for Humber fans. Link is to Doug Grevilles Heavy Metal Site. If it does'nt work his site is listed in MLU Links. Reading between the lines Doug may have reservations about Humbers.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/humb001.html
Hooroo
Rich.
Hi Richard - no he does not like them does he! Still, good on Doug, he did what was necessary to save it from scrap. See my pics a few posts back to see what we fix here in the UK (o2 BK 32) and the yellow one to see what a scrapper REALLY looks like...or maybe Clive's one a few pages back. It would have been criminal if this one had been cut up.

Like Doug says, the B60 is reliable, but I think people like to tinker. My lated (02 BK 09) has had a large ammount of random parts unbolted - the gearbox top, one spark plug (!!), half the fan bolts, the gearbox UJ, the instruments and switches (hanging on their cables) ETC. ETC. before being abandoned to the elements for 25 years and then demolished with a digger.

But why the 'workhorse' obsession? who really uses a 55 year old truck for work? I found them surprisingly practical - used 02 BK 32 for runs to the dump quite a lot - a lot more practical that a 40 foot monster....but again there is the misunderstanding - it was never designed as a Ford Transit competitor was it? Still, thanks Doug for saving the truck and still an iteresting site.

Regards,
Tom
Portsmouth
UK