View Single Post
Old 08-07-05, 02:57
RIP

Default A Study Of Switch Plates

Hi All

Switch Plate Comparisons

Following on from Jordan’s thread regarding his switch plates I would like to conduct a survey on this subject to try and establish which plates went where and when and why. Probably like most CMP variables, e.g. Ford instruments, there may not have been any rhyme or reason other than what was available at the time, but the subject is of interest to me. The following, excluding the font style, are four obvious differences in the two plates.

Brass Plate – 4 mounting holes
Silver Plate – 6 mounting holes

Brass Plate – centre hole – SIDE LAMPS
Silver Plate – centre hole – TAIL & SIDE

Brass Plate – 4th hole – HEAD LAMPS
Silver Plate – 4th hole – TAIL SIDE & HEAD

Brass Plate – vertical edge line unbroken
Silver Plate – vertical edge line broken

I would appreciate if switch plate owners could examine their plates and then address the following;

Are they the original plates? Beware here with the silver plates. They may not be the originals but retro-fitted in the place of brass plates. Close examination needs to be made of the centre mounting holes in the dash to establish whether they were later drilled to accommodate the silver plate.

Chevrolet, Ford or other

When and where manufactured

Vehicle model – e.g. C15, F60S etc. or any other vehicle that contains these styles of switch plates

Cab style – 11, 12 or 13

Brass or silver

Disregard the small hole in the “HEAD LAMPS” position of the brass plate depicted as that’s a retro for some reason.

I would also like to obtain a small readable plate that has the AUTOPULSE provision or be informed of any other plate variation.

Talking of variations, I just read Bruce Parker’s post along with the image of his ’44 Chevrolet plates and noticed that the STOP LAMP ISOLATION location on the large plate accommodates a double pole switch with the OFF position on the left, whereas all the ones I have seen utilise a single pole switch with the OFF position at lower centre. Similarly the IGNITION switch on the smaller plate is a double pole whereas others I have seen are single pole.

I would like samples of both these plates to replicate.

Bob
Attached Images