View Single Post
Old 20-07-05, 21:08
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Flute plates

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Bob

Chev 11 and 12 cabs have plates round each switch, they are oblong with the hole in the middle for the switch. The lettering is a natural nickel colure as has a thin border round the edge of the plate. The background is japanned black. The plate is held in place by the switch

Fords have individual oblong plates set above and below the switch and I think from memory they are an alloy of some kind. Here the plates are held in place I think with very small hammer nails (flute nails) that make removing them in one piece tricky.

Pete
Those fluted nails aren't too difficult to remove if gently tapped from behind - but make sure you don't replace them with philips head screws!
Cab 13 used slot head screws for the dash switch plates but retained the fluted nails for the plates on the engine cover.

There were other switch plate arrangements such as the F60 S version of the Rover light armoured car of course which for some reason used cut down cab 13 style brass switch plates on a cab 12-like dash.

I'm surmising the image below is of the F60L version which had a different dash, more cab 12-like.

Here's the dash from Rover ARN 77727 at Puckapunyal

Then there's the Dingo dash which was different again.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern