View Single Post
Old 03-05-09, 05:29
Darryl

Default Cam plate

Gidday again gents,

I've quickly ground to a halt again.

As I feared, my problem now is in removing the 12 bolts that hold the camplate inspection plate. Only half of them have threads tapped into the hull plate and the rest are secured by a nut which is of course inaccessible!

None of the nuts appear to be spotwelded to the hull and are simply fitted to the bolts so as soon as I start turning the bolt the nut starts moving with it.

I can access 3 of the nuts from the right rear crew area but the others are tucked away to the left and front and are simply not reachable.

I guess it is possible that with a bit of leverage on each bolt I could get enough pressure on each nut to undo the bolt and get it right out. I may end up in a position though where I can't get all the bolts out and in the meantime I have some loose nuts and washers floating around the hull. My worry then would be that I would have to resort to cutting off the bolt heads to finish the job.

I think I might just have to consider admitting defeat here and 'leaving well enough alone'.

What I might explore now is to get a tool in from the drivers area to grind off a little piece of the hull plate or the underside of the left side clevis to give the necessary clearance.

Any other thoughts at this stage?

Cheers

Darryl